- My Tools
- Advice Centre
- Other GN Sites
There are simple, tried and tested ways to prevent premature aging.
While there have been a lot of scientific breakthroughs in the cosmetics industry, with terms like Coenzyme Q-10, tocopherols, collagen, retinol, and alpha lipoic acid becoming part of everyday conversation, there are some good old-fashioned ways of helping your skin stay elastic and firm, and prevent the onset of premature wrinkles. Besides, not everyone can afford to buy expensive creams and facials. And even for those who can afford it, not everyone is willing to try BOTOX, much less go under the knife. Below are simple lifestyle-related tips you might want to try to save you money and buy your skin more time:
• Get sufficient sleep and rest – Our elders were right to make us sleep 8-10 hours (including naps) when we were kids. Adults should aim for 7-8 hours of sleep everyday. Sleep, especially deep sleep, is essential for the skin and the body in general to repair any tissue damage wrought by stress, sun exposure, pollution, etc.
• Keep yourself hydrated – Water is the original fountain of youth. No power or juice drink gives the benefits that plain drinking water can. Quench your thirst with water to hydrate your skin and flush out toxins.
• Physical activity – Notice how you feel better after breaking out a sweat. Any kind of regular and moderate exercise, even just half an hour of brisk walking a day or even simple housework, will do your body a lot of good as it helps reduce stress levels and keeps blood flowing throughout your system.
There’s more you can do to keep premature skin aging at bay like using sunscreen, avoiding sugary food, and a healthy diet rich in vegetables, fruits, and whole foods.
• Get enough sleep and give yourself time to relax
• Drink water to stay hydrated and flush out toxins
• Exercise daily, avoid sweets, stick to a healthy diet
Source: Lovely Claire CD, Special to Classifieds
The writer is a freelancer