GNcareers, from Gulf News

Training to be a fitness trainer

So you’ve learned rather late in life that health and fitness is just your thing. Fear not because it’s never too late to start anew and embark on a different career path. But first you need to decide whether you’ll work as a freelance trainer or work for an establishment full-time as this will be the basis of your training and certification-related decisions.

Former pro athletes, associates and degree holders in Kinesiology, Exercise Science, Fitness Management and Personal Training, Fitness and Personal Training, Health, Exercise & Physical Activity, etc., may have their careers cut-and-dried for them especially if their fitness levels match industry requirements. Still, there is always room for new people out to break into the fitness mold.

One of the most basic certifications you may wish to target is the CPT or Certified Personal Trainer certificate. Other more specialized certifications you may be interested are ACE Clinical Exercise Specialist Certification, Sports Nutrition, Low Back Disorder Certification, etc. Prerequisites for certification usually include a high school diploma, being at least 18 years of age, a reasonable level of fitness and familiarity with certain forms of exercise.

Basic personal trainer courses may still be enhanced by studies in subjects such as Suspension Training, Nutrition for Physical Activity, Sports Nutrition, Group Exercise and others. You may opt to specialize in particular forms of exercise like yoga, Pilates, BOSU balance training, etc.

In the UAE, training and certification providers include MEFITPRO which offers a variety of highly specialized fitness programs; Health Mind Body offers both personal and online certification and specialization programs as well as seminars; Impact British Training Solutions is an accredited International Central YMCA Qualifications (CYQ) training center with branches all over the Middle East.

Handy Hints
• Fitness trainers may work full-time or freelance
• One needs to get basic or specialized certification
• Certification requirements include a HS diploma


Source: Special to Classifieds