GNcareers, from Gulf News

Getting a tourism licence in capital

TourismImage Credit: Supplied

As Abu Dhabi becomes a popular destination for travellers around the world, its tourism industry is poised for a big leap. There is a host of business opportunities in this field, including starting a travel agency, a hotel, a boat rental firm or a tourist camp.

The Tourism and Culture Authority (TCA) Abu Dhabi provides the licence to conduct any tourism business. Requirements vary depending on the activity.

If you are looking to start a travel agency that will conduct tours in and around the capital, the major requirements to obtain a licence include owner’s passport copy, articles of incorporation certified by the notary public and a copy of the lease contract (from where the business is going to be conducted) certified by the municipality. It is also mandatory to employ a tourist guide who is licensed by TCA.

If you are starting a company that conducts a tourist camp, you are required to obtain an initial approval from TCA, signboard design approved by the Department of Economic Development, two 4x4 vehicles fit for desert excursions and insurance policy for the camp and visitors. For desert safaris, a certificate of security and safety from Abu Dhabi Civil Defence General Directorate is essential.

For excursion boats and rental vessels, the license applicant must submit the signboard design approved by DED, among others, and provide a licenced captain and vessels with safety and distress equipment.

Handy Hints
• TCA main licensing authority for tourism business
• Requirements vary depending on a firm’s activity
• Safety nod from Civil Defence needed for safaris

Source: S. Dhar, Special to Classifieds
The writer is a freelancer