GNcareers, from Gulf News

How to set up a hotel in capital

Business SetupImage Credit: Supplied

With tourist arrivals in Abu Dhabi touching new highs, investing in the hospitality industry is picking up pace. Here are some of the requirements if you want to run a resort, a hotel or a hotel apartment in the capital:

The Abu Dhabi Tourism & Culture Authority (TCA) is the main licencing entity for the hospitality industry in the capital. To apply for a licence, one needs an initial approval from TCA. Requirements include a copy of the land site plan and land status certificate from the Municipality, and engineering drawings of the proposed establishment. A list of current tenants, stating the contract periods, signed by the building owner is required if an existing building is to be converted into a hotel.

When applying for a permanent licence, a copy of the preliminary approval granted by TCA is mandatory. Besides TCA, nods from other government agencies are also needed. Essentials are a copy of the building completion certificate from the Municipality and trade name certificate from the Department of Economic Development. Clearances from the health and environment agencies are also mandatory: food control certificate from the Abu Dhabi Food Control Authority and a no objection letter from The Center of Waste Management - Abu Dhabi (Tadweer).

A security and safety certificate from the Civil Defense General Directorate is also needed. Separate licences are required for restaurants, coffee shops and other establishments operating from within the hotel.

Handy Hints
• TCA issues licences to hotels, resorts in capital
• Food, safety, environment clearances also a must
• Licence fees vary according to the establishment

Source: S. Dhar, Special to Classifieds
The writer is a freelancer