GNcareers, from Gulf News

Trade licences issued in capital

Identify your business activity and licencing authorityImage Credit: Supplied

Investors who are considering establishing a presence here can choose from the seven emirates which host varied specialised zones, industrial hubs and business districts. Upon determining the location where to set up shop, companies must also identify the type of licence that they must obtain according to their business activity. The capital of Abu Dhabi issues various licences through its different government entities, as follows:

Commercial – For businesses that practice all types of trading activities. Retail shops, general trading firms, real estate agencies and others must approach the Department of Economic Department (DED) for this.

Tourism – Hotels, tour operators, travel agencies and related firms must secure a licence to operate from the Abu Dhabi Tourism & Culture Authority.

Agricultural – Issued by DED to operators of agricultural farms/nurseries, and firms engaged in livestock and fisheries.

Industrial – Manufacturing firms and factory operators must apply for a licence at Higher Corporation for Specialized Economic Zones (ZonesCorp).

Professional – DED is the licencing authority for business establishments offering services such as typing.

Occupational – Firms that provide services in specific fields such as legal practice, consultancy and auditing must process their licence application at the DED.

For a hassle-free licence application, investors are advised to engage a business setup firm.

Handy Hints:

* DED issues commercial and agricultural licences

* Hotels and travel agencies must approach TCA

* Industrial licences are being issued by ZonesCorp

Source: Ellen Joyce Soriano, Special to Classifieds

The writer is a freelancer