- My Tools
- Advice Centre
- Other GN Sites
Now that the long hot (and sometimes humid!) summer has officially made its annual entrance in the UAE, on top of one's priority list is ensuring your home stays cool without maxing out on energy bills.
If you have done your bit taking care of your air conditioning system; that is, by getting the compressor checked and replaced if need be, ensuring air filters are cleaned on a monthly basis, and keeping the A/C turned off when out of the house for an hour or more, there are still other things you can do to keep your home comfortably cool in the sweltering weather:
• Use ceiling/electric fans as a substitute for air conditioning especially during daytime
• Put white window drapes, blinds or shades to reflect heat away from your house
• Turn off all electrical equipment when idle/not in use
• Check if any caulking needs to be done to ensure your residence remains relatively 'air tight' – able to contain precious cool air
• Get holes or any damage in the separation of ducts repaired immediately
In case your air conditioner breaks down any time during the summer, and has to be replaced, be sure to get a properly-sized high efficiency air conditioner that is also able to function well under high humidity levels. Choose one with multi-speed blowers or variable options. Try to keep the temperature between 23°C and 26°C, or to a steady 25°C to keep unit running at optimum performance level.
• Have A/C air filters cleaned on a monthly basis
• Try to use electric/ceiling fans for daytime cooling
• Get needed caulking work done to keep cool air in
Source: Lovely Claire CD, Special to Classifieds
The writer is a freelancer