GNcareers, from Gulf News

Managing moisture and mold growth at home

Managing moisture and mold growth at homeImage Credit: Supplied

Did you notice that dark greyish patch in the corner of your ceiling? Or the yellowing area under your kitchen sink, and the black spots stuck behind your wallpaper? If you look closely and examine these mysterious patches, you might discover that molds have established residence in your home. Whether you are a homeowner who wants to preserve the value of his or her investment, or a tenant who wants a healthy home atmosphere, it will be well worth it to check in on these things.

Though naturally occurring in the environment, molds have no place in your home as they pose potential health risks. People who are sensitive to allergens, afflicted with asthma, and those with compromised immune systems will find it difficult to live in such an environment. Mold spores can cause allergic reactions, while some mold varieties produce potentially toxic substances. And though mold spores usually float around the air in your house and with dust, mold spores will be unable to reproduce without the presence of moisture.

If you suspect mold growth in your home, it is best to nip the problem in the bud immediately. Small growth areas of about 3x3 feet can be managed by residents using protective gear, but bigger growth patches may require professional assistance, especially if it involves a persistent moisture or water problem, like in the case of HVAC-related and plumbing problems. Below are some things you can do on your own to guard your house against molds:

• Always get moisture and water-related problems attended to immediately

• Get rid of moldy porous materials (e.g. rugs, ceiling tiles, mattresses, etc.)

• Growing mold on hard surfaces can be scrubbed off with detergent and water. Make sure to dry it out completely

• Never paint over or caulk areas with molds. Clean and dry off the area first before painting or caulking

• Precious items with mold growing over them can be taken to specialists for cleaning

Ridding your home of molds may be difficult, but preventing their growth is possible.

Handy Hints:

• Mold growth can cause health problems especially in sensitive individuals

• Small patches of 3x3 feet may cleaned by residents using protective gear

• Moisture and water-related problems at home must be checked right away

Source: Lovely Claire CD, Special to Properties

The writer is a freelancer