- My Tools
- Advice Centre
- Other GN Sites
The mere existence of termites in your home implies massive destruction. They give birth within small holes and cracks of walls left unattended for years, or in old chipped-out furniture. These little creatures are more dangerous than other insects or rodents and an entire battalion can single-handedly cause mass destruction. Instead of watching your home get ruined before your eyes, with some easy precautionary measures, you can completely eliminate them.
• Check for possibilities of infestation. When you are completely taken aback by a termite attack, there must be something you might have missed. Cracks or dents in wooden furniture, holes in wall corners and sagging floors are possible places where you can find these creatures.
• Let heat be the weapon. It is said that termites cannot survive the intensity of sunrays. So the easiest way to get rid of them is to expose the infested material to the sun and see the termites succumb to the heat.
• Boric acid is another alternative to get rid of termites. The lethal ingredient targets the nervous system of the termite thereby weakening it, leading to severe dehydration and eventually, death.
• Know the types. Understanding which type has infested your surroundings can be simpler. Termites are basically of two kinds: the drywood and the subterranean type. The former is found in all wooden furniture, whereas the latter can be found both in furniture and wet or moist areas.
• Examine your property for signs of infestation
• Boric acid is a key ingredient in killing termites
• Subterranean termites need moisture to survive
Source: Mrudvi Bakshi, Special to Classifieds
The writer is a freelancer