GNcareers, from Gulf News

Deciding between CELTA and TESOL

EducationImage Credit: Supplied

If you’re planning on making a career out of teaching English to non-native speakers, consider getting a certificate from widely-recognized programs such as CELTA and TESOL.

CELTA used to stand for Certificate in English Language Teaching for Adults, but it is now known as Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. The program gives a balanced emphasis on both theory and practice, and certificates issued upon completion are validated by the University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate (UCLES). Some institutes offer certification while others also offer a diploma option which is more advanced and in-depth, and mainly targets those with basic teaching experience, and a long-term career goal of teaching English.

TESOL, on the other hand, is accredited by the Trinity College London. Just like CELTA, there are the certificate and diploma options. The diploma can be had only if the candidate has already completed a course validated by Trinity College London. The components necessary to pass the diploma program are the written paper, coursework portfolio, interview, and assessed teaching. The certification program, meanwhile, is aimed towards those with little or no experience teaching English, and is meant to provide the groundwork for English teaching.

Both courses are also open to non-native English speakers, and require a university degree or equivalent qualification. Both make use of highly systematic approaches to learning and mastering the basics of teaching English to non-native speakers, and are widely recognized internationally. Onsite and online programs are usually available for either CELTA or TESOL.

Handy Hints
• TESOL and CELTA designed for teaching English
• They help strengthen one’s teaching foundation
• Both programs are widely recognized internationally




Source: Lovely Claire CD, Special to Classifieds
The writer is a freelancer