- My Tools
- Advice Centre
- Other GN Sites
* Pumpkin: 300-350gm
* Yogurt (separate the whey): 4tbsp
* Peanuts, cashew nuts or pecan: 4-5tbsp
* Deseeded dry red chilies (optional): 2-4 pcs
* Green curry leaves: 6-8 pcs
* Mustard seeds: 1tsp
* Clarified butter (ghee): 2-3tbsp
* Sugar (optional): ½tsp
* Salt: ¼tsp
Choice of other vegetables: bottle gourd, big English cucumber, carrot (grated, with fennel or caraway seeds), aubergine, courgette, zucchini, sweet potato (use roasted with cumin)
Method of Preparation:
Steam the pumpkin in a little water (or steamer) taking care not to overcook it. As an alternative, it can also be roasted in the oven. Make sure the pumpkin is firm. Poke it with a fork to check if it’s done. Let cool and mash pumpkin with a fork.
Dry roast the peanuts in a small pan and crush them coarsely.
Add yogurt, sugar (optional) and salt to the pumpkin and mix.
Heat ghee in a pan. Add mustard seeds and let them sputter/pop, then add the curry leaves, red chilies and peanuts. Fry for a few seconds till you smell the aroma. Pour it on the mashed pumpkin and mix well. Serve hot.
Did you know...
• The backyard vegetable pumpkin was used by native Americans as both medicine and food. It is packed with antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.
Source: Spice & Aroma Restaurant, Special to gulfnews.com