Enjoy this traditional Thai dessert using water chestnuts
Water chestnuts 100gm
Food color 20 drops
(red, orange, green - permitted) per color
Tapioca flour 1 cup
Coconut milk 50mL
Sugar syrup 50mL
Method of Preparation:
• Wash the water chestnuts, peel them well and cut/dice them into bite-size pieces.
• Put 20 drops of each food color (permitted ones only) in about two tablespoons of water in three separate bowls. Place water chestnuts in colored water for about five minutes or until they change color. If you are using canned water chestnuts, drain, then soak them in water for 10 minutes, and then drain again before placing in coloring liquid.
• Drain the colored water chestnuts and toss them in the tapioca flour until well-coated.
• Boil water chestnuts for about five minutes, or until they float to the surface.
• Transfer the water chestnuts from the boiling water straight into a bowl of ice cold water to stop the cooking process.
• Add sugar syrup to the coconut milk; then add milk. Mix in the water chestnuts and crushed ice in the coconut milk mixture, and it’s ready to serve.
Did you know...
Water chestnuts are a nutritional powerhouse containing potassium, copper and manganese, as well as B vitamins, Vitamin E and flavonoids
Source: Royal Orchid Downtown Dubai, Special to Classifieds